Regular visits to Yandina Dental will not only help to make your smile dazzle, but also have wider health benefits. For example, gum disease, which can develop when plaque builds up between the teeth, can be linked to serious health issues like heart disease and diabetes.
A dental checkup is where a dentist looks at your teeth, gums, lips, tongue and jaw joints to see if they are healthy.
Dental checkups at Yandina Dental are also important to find existing problems, discuss planned treatments and we will provide advice to help minimise further issues.
During a checkup the dentist will:
- take a complete medical and dental history
- look for tooth decay, bleeding gums and how the teeth fit together
- assess the soft tissues for any unusual lesions or oral cancers
- dental x-rays may be taken to assess for tooth decay, fractures of the teeth, bone loss, infections, tumours, cysts and even cancers
- At Yandina Dental we use digital imaging, which uses less radiation than conventional x-rays (one digital x-ray is the equivalent to a ten second mobile phone conversation!) and the images are immediately available to see on the computer screen.
A hygiene clean is a very important preventive treatment, which is done in your checkup appointment. Gum disease, which starts with built-up plaque, is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. As gum disease advances, plaque moves further down the tooth where it can destroy the supporting bone in your jaw, causing teeth to loosen and fall out. Luckily, the chance of this happening to you can be greatly reduced through regular dental cleanings combined with good oral hygiene. Other perks of a clean include:
- brightens your smile
- freshens your breath
- improves overall health
- saves money in the long run (prevention is better than cure)
After the clean, the dentist will apply some highly-concentrated fluoride and discuss best how to care for your teeth and gums. Fluoride is perfect because it helps with sensitivity after the clean, makes the teeth nice and strong and prevents decay. If you are not comfortable with Fluoride, that is ok because we can apply another excellent product called Tooth Mousse, which is Fluoride-free.
At the end of the appointment, the dentist will devise a treatment plan for you and give you a printed copy to take home.
At Yandina Dental you are invited to ask questions about your dental health and treatment needs, so that everyone is on the same page regarding the treatment required. Once your proposed treatment is completed, we strongly recommend attending every six months for your checkup and clean. Just as you would service your car, it is important to attend regularly and stay on top of things.